Did your mother have a laminate floor? If so, she was probably pretty cool. But chances are you were too young to know it. You see, early laminate floors were revolutionary for their day. They made their way to the US from Sweden in the mid-’80s and were quite a hit for the more active areas of the home. But even though people who wore big hair (and bigger shoulder pads) considered them quite stylish, there was definitely room for improvement.
Fast-forward a few decades and that improvement has arrived. Technology is changing everything around us and today’s laminates look nothing like the floors of the past. These floors not only look and feel like real wood, the variation and detail in the styles and finishes are really turning heads. Just browse through a collection of Quick-Step floors and you’ll find a range of styles and colors on the leading edge of most flooring trends.
Classic Floors – These floors have the look of a traditional hardwood floor and remain a go-to for interiors. Usually in oak or maple with a smooth surface. See Quick-Step’s Spiced Tea Maple 2-Strip Planks.
Wirebrushed Floors – These trendy floors are extremely popular — especially for consumers wanting a rustic or vintage feel. The grain pattern on the décor is defined by a deeper emboss that creates the look of weathered wood. See Quick-Step’s French Country Oak Planks.
Soft-sculpted Floors – These looks feature a gentle rolling scrape reminiscent of wood planks that have been hand scraped by craftsman. See Quick-Step’s Smoked Maple Chocolate Planks.
Character Floors – These floors feature strong knotting, graining or color variations. See Quick-Step’s Summer Pine Planks.
Contemporary Floors – The looks in these floors may incorporate unique textures or patterns. See Quick-Step’s Urban Concrete Planks.
Since the beginning, laminate floors have been pretty indestructible. They resist fading, scuffs and scratches from everyday wear and stains — even paint and nail polish come off if removed right away. This makes laminate a great choice for active homes with a lot of traffic like kids and pets. And laminate is easy to maintain with a simple dusting and occasional cleaning. So, if you’re shopping for a new floor, take a look at the great options in laminate flooring available today. You’ll be amazed!
Here are a few tips to help you find the perfect laminate floor:
- Location, location, location. Where is the floor going? You’ll want to consider existing paints, cabinet and furniture colors, as well as the tone and style of adjacent floors.
- Finding the right color. Do you have a preference for color or shade? Keep in mind lighter floors usually brighten a room, while darker floors create a more dramatic look. Gray floors are increasingly popular as well as grayed chocolate tones like Quick-Step’s Mocha Oak Planks. Most floors feature a wide range of shade variation. This gives a more natural appearance to the floor.
- Be savvy about style. Do you want a classic look? Do you prefer something a little more rustic? Or even a contemporary visual? Examine the styles and take several home to see how they feel in your décor.
- Tips on texture. There is a huge range of surface textures from which to choose. You may prefer a more classic look with a smooth surface. Or you can select from a variety of rustic textures that have the look of vintage wood. Soft sculpted textures give the appearance of an Artisan floor. And many floors feature wirebrushing with a special stain to produce an even more pronounced grain.
- Installation Facts. How will you have your floor installed? Are you looking for a DIY project or will you have a contractor install the floor. Because laminate floors are floating floors, they are not glued or nailed to a plywood subfloor — they can be installed anywhere above, on or below grade (ground level), making it the perfect floor for a basement game room. Also, Quick-Step laminate floors feature a patented Uniclic® locking system, allowing for easy installation with less stress. A moderately skilled DIY-er can have a new floor in as little as a weekend!